Saturday 18 December 2010

A successful shopping trip!

This morning we had croissants for breakfast - mmmmmm :)
Then we went to our local mall to finish our Christmas shopping. I really only needed to get a present for my Dad, but as it happened JCPenney had an awesome sale on! We finally got some new pillows - we bought a king size bed in September just after I got here, and never got king size pillows because the ones we wanted weren't on sale. Well, today, they were only $8.70 each! Originally they were meant to be like $30 each, so how cool is that?! I got my Dad a neck massager (he has a bad neck) which was originally $40 and was only $20 today. I also got a couple of cute Christmas decorations (little snowmen with our names on!) and a lovely cuddly teddy bear (I'm a sucker for cuddlies!). The snowmen were originally $8 each but ended up costing all of $2.31 a piece, and the bear was originally $20 but ended up being $4.34. At full price our total would've been $140, and it only came to $50! I'm so pleased with all my purchases, they were fantastic value! It's even more fantastic when I convert the price in dollars to British pounds - it comes to £32! In the UK that doesn't exactly go very far - there's no way I would've been able to buy all of that. Gotta love America for the awesome pre-Christmas sales!!! :)

Well, the weather in the UK right now is really bad. I've just looked on a news website and a lot of the airports are either closed or facing huge disruption. I checked on the British Airways website and the London Heathrow to Phoenix flight is cancelled today. That's the flight my Dad is getting on December 30th... all the weather reports say the bad weather is going to last at least a month, so he might have problems getting here if that's the case. Not much point worrying about it yet, I guess. The thing is, he's only coming for 9 nights - if his flight does end up being cancelled, it could end up being days until he can get another, and at what point does he end up not coming because it's not worth it? (remember when he could have come for the wedding, Wednesday to Sunday, and "it wasn't worth it"? I mean, it is a long way and all, it's like a 10 and a half hour flight). It's not like he can move his holiday by a week or anything, because he's back at work a few days after he gets home as it is.

All this reminds me of all the problems I had getting here when I was coming to visit my hubby (before we were married, of course!). Last Christmas I was booked to fly with BA and they were going to go on strike for 12 days when I was due to fly, so I ended up cancelling my flight with them and rebooking with US Airways. Then the weather was really bad and I was lucky to get here, the plane had to be jump-started because it was so cold and the visibility was virtually zero - I still don't know how we made it from Manchester to Philadelphia, actually! Then, when I was supposed to visit in April, 2 days before my flight that stupid volcano in Iceland erupted and all flights in and out of the UK were grounded! I could not believe that at all! I had to rebook for the following week, but luckily I was able to move my vacation time at work forward by a week so I didn't end up losing any time here with my beloved!
I really quite like flying, but I'm glad I'm not having to do it for a long while now. What with all the security checks, which seem to go a little over the top sometimes, I don't exactly miss it!

Oh, I finally got an email from my friend who didn't show up on Skype on Tuesday - it's very apologetic! I haven't replied yet, because I'm not quite sure what to say, but I will do soon. As I've said before, I do get that people are busy, but it is quite rude to not let someone know when you can't make it for something, even if it is "only" a chat on Skype. She said she kept meaning to let me know she couldn't make it but never got around to it. Hmmm. I mean, it's Saturday and the whole thing happened on Tuesday, so it has taken her a very long time to get in touch! I'm not going to hold it against her, but I might let her hang for a day or 2. She did keep me waiting ages, after all.

My Dad still hasn't called; he was supposed to call sometime mid-week. I can't say I'm really surprised, though. My Mom will call me tomorrow (she's way more reliable - she calls me one Sunday, I call her the next Sunday, and so on). I still haven't heard from my cousin, but I've pretty much given up any hope of him ever responding to my email! I could just call him, but I'm not going to out of principle. Also, as I said, I never know when he's working, so that's the reason I wanted him to let me know when would be a good time for me to call. All he had to do was reply to my email and say, "Call on Tuesday or Wednesday, but not Thursday or Friday" - something like that. Now would that really be so bloody difficult to do? It would take all of 30 seconds! Whatever. Also, his wife's parents have a house in Florida so they have a phone package which lets them call the US for free, so he could just pick up the phone and call me. The whole thing sucks.

Anyway, in an hour we're heading over to my brother-in-law's house for dinner. It'll be the first time I've been there since I looked at the place with my mother-in-law all the way back in January, before my brother-in-law even saw it himself (she was on a mission to find him a house to buy, lol). We should have a nice evening! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment