Tuesday 21 December 2010

Some random stuff

I got an email from my Dad last night, telling me about the snow in the UK and how Heathrow airport is closed (tell me something I don't know!). I wish he would just pick up the phone and call me, rather than send me an email. He was meant to call a week ago. Great, huh?

My friend never showed on Skype last night, but it's OK because I figured something probably came up. This morning there was an email in my inbox saying that their internet wouldn't work yesterday, for reasons unknown (possibly the bad weather - not sure!). Anyway, it's cool. Hopefully we'll talk tomorrow :-)

I never got around to wrapping presents yesterday - oops! I'll have to do it today instead. There's no way I'm gonna be able to wrap the cacti for my brother-in-law - unless I get some boxes for them and wrap them last-minute, I guess that could work. I'm almost out of money though! I still want to get a couple of little edible things for hubby, he sure does love his food! I'm hoping his T-shirt will arrive today, I know from the tracking info that it's somewhere in Phoenix so hopefully it'll come either today or tomorrow. I guess he's really buying his own presents, because I'm using my "allowance" to pay for all this stuff. It's kinda like being a teenager again! Except that I appreciate it more now, I think. I actually feel bad sometimes because he pays for everything as it is and still insists on putting money in my account every 2 weeks. I know he does it because he wants to, and I never asked for it, but I do sometimes feel a bit guilty. I haven't spent much of that money on myself at all, it's usually things for the pug-pug or recently, presents for other people! It's cool, I'm really grateful for the money and it does give me some freedom which I otherwise wouldn't have. It doesn't sound like much but the ability to go to a store on my own and be able to pay for stuff is something I'm grateful for. I'd never have thought twice about that while I was in the UK, I'd never been out of a job and I always had my own money. It's nice to have it now, because it's helping me to feel as though I'm more independent than I actually am (if that makes any sense!). I've just checked out my case status with USCIS, and it hasn't changed (it's in "initial review") but they've only had my adjustment of status paperwork for a month so that's not surprising. Hopefully I'll get my greencard at some point soon, then I can get a job if I want to. I'm still not decided on what I want to do, but I know I can't just go and get a job in MRI (I'm a radiographer and I worked in MRI for 3 years and did a post-graduate course in it, but working in this country is not so straightforward!).

We've been thinking about getting some hermit crabs as pets! Completely random, I know! I just think they're really cute, and hubby used to have some when he was a kid so he'd like some too. The crabs themselves aren't expensive, I've seen them for about $7 each, but the habitat and all the bits and pieces add up. Also, we're not sure where we'd put it! At a minimum they need a 10 gallon tank, preferably bigger, so I have no idea where we'd put that. We'd need a stand for it too. I guess we'll have to wait and see if we can find somewhere for it to go, before I get too carried away! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment